Monday, February 15, 2010

February 15: Day 39

Today I got to play with a real film SLR camera for the very first time. My brother came down to visit today and we went out with his vintage film Canon SLR camera and some black and white film and we got down and dirty in the Arboretum. It took him a little bit to remember how to insert the film but once the camera was locked and loaded we had a good time! The controls were definitely different from my new fangled digital SLR but I still felt like I knew what I was doing. The light meter thingy was kind of cool. We had 400 ISO speed film and the overcast day wasn't overly bright so I had to shoot with a slow shutter speed which makes me nervous. I'm curious to see how the photos come out. I'm so used to having instant feedback on the photos I'm taking that it feels weird to be shooting "blind"!

Since the only lens my brother has for the film SLR is a f/1.4 50mm (super nice lens by the way!) I threw my f/1.8 50mm lens on my camera and we traded. We switched a few times because I wanted to make sure to get my photo of the day and I played with the shutter speed at the creek. This photo is of my brother working hard to get the perfect shot.

Photo Stats:
Exposure: 1/100 sec
Aperture: f/1.8
Focal Length: 50mm
ISO: 100
Flash: Off

And as a bonus here's a shot of me that my brother took with my camera:

No comments: