Friday, April 9, 2010

April 9: Day 92

The Pioneer Woman is hosting a new photographic challenge next week with the theme "Macro". Since I don't have a macro lens (but I really really want one!) I decided to play with my "poor man's macro" technique of holding one lens backwards in front of another. Not exactly high tech and a little scary since I don't want to scratch my lenses. I used my 18-55 kit lens and held my 50mm prime backwards. It works but it's kind of awkward. Not to mention practically impossible to get any shot in focus while concentrating on not breathing, moving, dropping a lens, or scratching my lens on my subject since I'm literally that close to it. I really have no idea how photographers get these kind of shots perfectly in focus other then using a tripod indoors where there's no wind. Instead of subjecting everyone to a week of macro photos I spent some quality time in the yard this afternoon and will move on to other subjects now that I have five semi-decent macro photos to share with other Pioneer Woman Flickr users next week.

I couldn't decide which one should be the photo of the day so I had my husband choose between my top three. He happened to choose a photo of a purple weed. Pretty no?

Photo Stats:
Exposure: 1/100 sec
Aperture: f/10.0
Focal Length: 55mm
ISO: 400
Flash: Off

And here's a few more macros from today...



1 comment:

Natalie Whisler said...

Those look great! I have yet to try the poor mans macro, but I have played with my boss' 100mm L macro lens. I think you are actually getting more magnification that he gets with the 100mm L, but of course that L lens has beautiful image quality.