Friday, April 2, 2010

April 2: Day 85

I attempted to get some Easter photos of the kids this afternoon which didn't work out very well. For one thing, it was mostly gray and rainy today with random five minute intervals of sunshine that I tried to take advantage of. I'd been waiting for Ethan's haircut this afternoon to do Easter photos because he was Mr. Shaggy and I wanted a clean cut look for Easter. He got his haircut right before naptime today so as soon as he woke up I plopped our wooden kitchen step stool in the middle of the soggy backyard and carried him to it. I changed him into the one button down dress shirt he owns and in order to get him to stop crying and generally looking like a grumpy bear I bribed him with candy. He chose a blue sucker and refused to do any photos until I gave it to him. Naturally he dripped sticky blue slobber all over his shirt and then the sun disappeared and it started to rain before he finished his candy. That ended Ethan Easter Photo Shoot Attempt #1. I'll try again tomorrow, and if the sun won't cooperate I'll fake it and do it next week. In 10 years nobody will know the difference.

As for technical details, I thought I'd point out that I've been moving out of my usual low aperture preference and experimenting with (gasp!) taking photos at a higher f-stop. I know, I'm wild. I'm discovering that I kind of like the results I'm getting by doing photos in the late afternoon sun (today's photo was taken around 4pm with the sun behind Ethan) with a higher f-stop to keep the photo was washing out. I even broke out my flash today to experiment with fill flash on Grace but wasn't happy with the results. I'll have to give it another go.

Photo Stats:
Exposure: 1/160 sec
Aperture: f/4.0
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO: 100
Flash: Off

1 comment:

Notorious M.E.G. said...

Sounds like we have the same problems.